A therapist speaks to some sometimes overlooked victims of divorce: the in-laws / grandparents.
At the very least, their child’s divorce will be disruptive. At worst, it can dramatically change their lives going forward.
Family holidays will be different.
Time with grandchildren may be diminished.
Or increased. In the form of child care.
Financial assistance may be sought.
- Offer emotional support
- Recommend counseling. From professionals.
- Be neutral as between the couple.
- Never put down your child’s spouse.
- Be cautious with offers of financial assistance .. and meticulous.
- Help the grandchildren cope.
- Don’t drop or turn your back on your child’s spouse
Read more in this San Luis Obispo [CA] Tribune article: How to deal with your adult child’s divorce.