China is reportedly implementing new rules making it tougher for Americans and other foreigners to adopt their orphaned children.
Many Americans, some of whom have already adopted Chinese children in the past, are disappointed and angered over the changing policies in China.
But China is within its legal rights and is actually following in the footsteps of other countries with babies available for adoption, such as South Korea.
Some of the would-be parents who may be turned down in the future include:
- the extremely obese
- people on anti-depressants
- people with facial deformities
- people over age 50 (unless the children have special needs)
- people without high school diplomas and
- couples with more than two divorces in their collective past