New clients often come in spewing legal terms that are thoroughly out of favor with modern courts.
A handy little article concisely explains modern child custody terms and concepts in a way that is not specific to any particular state.
The terms explained are listed below, with a Florida-specific twist:
- Legal Custody or Decisionmaking Authority
- Sole Custody or Decisionmaking Authority
- Physical Custody or Residential Custody
- Joint Custody
- Joint Legal Custody or Shared Parenting Responsibility
- Joint Physical Custody or Rotating Custody or Equal Timesharing
This article is recommended reading for anyone involved in a child custody case.