While many folks are in a festive mood at this time of year, for others, the holiday season is anything but.
More family togetherness due to time off from work and school. More drinking and drugs. More cash flow deficits and debt. More holiday “blues”.
Too often, these conditions are a recipe for abuse escalating in the following order:
- verbal attacks and emotional abuse
- isolation from people who care
- sexual abuse
- physical violence
These behaviors lead to incidents prompting victims of domestic abuse to seek orders of protection, called injunctions for protection against domestic violence in Florida.
These incidents also lead to more incidents prompting victims of domestic violence to call police and press criminal charges for domestic battery or domestic assault.
The holidays also give rise to false allegations of domestic abuse and violence.
Read more in
- this Montgomery [AL] Advertiser article: Domestic violence increases over holiday
- this WCAX TV 3 [VT] article: Holidays Can Spark Domestic Violence
- this [NW AR] Morning News article: Holidays Can Bring Domestic Violence
- this KTVN TV 2 [Reno] article: Domestic Violence Increases as Holidays Approach
- this Wellness.com article: Holidays can lead to violence: Domestic incidents expected to rise