Sometimes, there’s a clear smoking gun leading to a divorce. One spouse catches the other cheating, getting drunk or high again after swearing it off, one spouse loses their shirt again at the gaming table, etc. But sometimes it’s a lot fuzzier than that, or just a combination of relatively minor things.
Below are some unlikely things that are anecdotally correlated with divorce (for reasons not always known):
- Commutes over 45 minutes one-way
- High incidence of divorce in a person’s family or social circle
- Firstborn child is female, based on the US census
- The wife developed a serious illness
- The wife is a physician … who works long hours
- The husband pitches in to help with half the housework
- The wife drinks significantly more alcohol than the husband
- The husband and wife maintain healthy body weights
- One of the spouses is low in a hormone associated with affectionate nature
Read more in this Yahoo Health article by way of Prevention magazine: 9 Really Weird Causes Of Divorce .