A financial writer offers some suggestions for pre-divorce actions that may help pave the way for a smoother post-divorce life.
- Open an Individual Savings Account and, If Possible, Accumulate a Nest Egg to Help You Through
- Open an Individual Credit Account and Establish Personal Credit, Even as You Take Stock of Your Marital Debts and Pay Off, Freeze, Refinance or Document Your Position on Them
- Consult Financial, Tax and Legal Professionals About Your Rights and Obligations
- Create a Realistic Personal Budget to Better Understand Your Post-Divorce Needs
- Update Personal Passwords and Access Codes for Everything from Financial Accounts, E-Mail and Social Networking Sites and Update Your Spouse’s Status / Access
Read more in this Second Act article: 5 Smart Divorce Money Moves.